February 13, 2024
Temporary Storage Between Moves
Temporary storage can be a lifesaver in multiple situations, whether you’re in the process of moving, home remodeling, or knee-deep in a decluttering project.
The tricky part (or parts) is knowing what to put away and keep during the transition. Then, there’s the question of where to store your belongings and how to get them back and forth in one piece.
In this article, we’ll guide you through how to make the most of short-term storage for your next move or seasonal storage needs.
Before we dive in, though, let’s discuss the top reasons why you might require temporary storage:
- Moving is usually a top reason as it allows you to store your belongings securely while you live in between homes.
- You may also need short-term storage if you’re downsizing, decluttering, or vacating your current home before your new one is ready.
- Short-term storage can also be helpful if you need to house seasonal items, such as holiday decorations, or recreational equipment and vehicles.
What to Store vs. What to Keep
As you’ve probably guessed, deciding what to store vs. keep requires careful consideration of the value, usefulness, and accessibility of each item you own.
The simplest way to achieve this is by identifying which items you use daily, which are irreplaceable, and which would be hard to replace.
For instance, important documents, jewelry, and family heirlooms should always be kept with you. In contrast, you can typically keep furniture and seasonal items like bikes, winter gear, decorations, lawn mowers, grills, ect. in temporary storage.
Here are a few more helpful tips:
- Make a Timeline: Plan how long you’ll need to rent a short-term storage unit. Will it be a matter of days, weeks, or a few months?
- Take inventory: Make a list of all the items you own. Next, divide your belongings into categories such as furniture, appliances, clothing, and seasonal items. You’ll need this list later to finalize what you put into storage so you can reference it as needed.
- Determine what you can live without: Consider which items you can live without for the time period you need storage. You’ll probably want your appliances right away, but maybe you can keep your Christmas decorations or other seasonal items in short-term storage until you’re ready to retrieve them.
Finding the Right Temporary Storage Facility
When choosing a storage facility, there are several things to consider.
- Look for a facility that is clean, well-maintained, and secure. It should include features like video surveillance and secure access.
- Consider the location, as you’ll want to choose a facility that is convenient for you to access when you need to retrieve your items.
- Read online reviews to ensure others in your community have had positive experiences with management, prices, security, and the unit themselves.
Want a referral? Ask our St. Paul moving company for recommendations. We have tons of experience working with different facilities and can point you to the best one that fits your needs and budget.
Hiring Pro Movers Near You
Hiring a professional moving company to transport your belongings has several advantages.
Handled with Care
Though we can’t speak for every moving company, we can confidently tell you that Good Stuff Moving will handle everything with care and respect, ensuring that your items reach their next destination in the same condition you left them in.
We offer convenient packing services to keep your belongings organized and protected. We’ll also make sure all boxes are probably labeled and wrapped to protect against moisture buildup or potential leaks.
Transported with Ease
Our team understands how overwhelming moving can be—regardless of whether it’s short term, seasonal, or permanent. That’s why we offer professional unloading, reloading, and transportation services to make the moving process smoother and stress-free. We’re trained to handle everything from the heavy lifting to traveling back and forth from your storage facility. With us by your side, you can rest easy knowing that your belongings are in good hands and the planning and logistics are already covered.
Get a Free Quote Today
Short-term storage can be a valuable tool. From seasonal storage to temporary storage between moves, trust Good Stuff Moving for quality support, pricing, and care!
Have questions? We’d love to chat. You can contact us directly at 651.488.4808 or request a fast, free quote.
Remember, we offer 5 convenient ways to move, so tell us more about your move, and we’ll find the right solution for you.