June 27, 2023
Moving a Business?
Moving your business may sound like a daunting task, but with proper planning and execution, it can be a smooth and stress-free experience.
As the leading business movers in the Twin Cities, we’ve helped many companies—big and small—relocate to new neighborhoods on schedule, on budget, and with greater ease. Along the way, we’ve also picked up some helpful tips and tricks to ensure the move is a success for you, your team, and your customers.
Below, we’ve compiled a checklist to help you get started, ensuring you avoid unnecessary mistakes that cause delays and frustrations that could impact morale and customer service.
Moving a Business Checklist
One of the biggest concerns when moving a business is minimizing downtime, as it can lead to a loss of productivity and revenue. To keep operations on track, here are 5 effective business moving tips!
Get the team onboard
Involve members of your team in the moving process so they feel included and informed about the move. Start by creating a detailed plan that outlines the timeline for the move, including important dates, such as:
- When the new office space will be available
- When you need to start packing
- When the move will take place
Additionally, include details about the new space, such as:
- The layout
- Onsite amenities
- Nearby restaurants/parks/highways
- Any changes in the office decor
Remember, communication is key throughout the planning process! Therefore, hold regular meetings with your team to keep them informed about the move and address any questions or concerns they may have.
Finally, encourage open communication and feedback to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Notify your customers and clients
Always notify your customers and clients about an upcoming move in advance to give them time to adjust and make necessary arrangements.
Consider sending out an email blast, posting on social media, or even setting up a dedicated page on your website to keep everyone informed.
Hire a professional moving company
Hiring reputable business movers can save you time and stress during the move. They’ll have the experience and equipment to move your office quickly and efficiently, minimizing downtime.
Be sure to choose a reliable company that specializes in business moves in your area. Finally, request a quote or contact them directly to let them know more about the move so they can help plan the logistics while you focus on the business!
When packing up your office, think strategically, meaning label boxes clearly and pack essential items last so you can unpack them first in the new location.
Doing so can help your team avoid frustration and ensure the new office is up and running as quickly as possible. Business movers like Good Stuff Moving offer professional packing services to help you minimize downtown and ensure your office equipment/materials are stored safely, labeled correctly, and dropped off at the new location.
Learn more about our custom moving services that help you get the support you need!
Set up early
Setting up your new office beforehand is another great way to minimize downtime. For example, you should plan to arrange furniture, hook up computers and equipment, and ensure everything is working before your team arrives.
Again, this is a smart way to ensure employees can settle in and return to work with little interruption.
More tips on relocating a business
Change your address—everywhere: We briefly touched on this above, but you must remember to change your business address to the new location on all digital and print marketing touchpoints.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Google My Business profile
- Website footer/contact page
- Business cards
- Email signatures
- Yahoo Local
- Bing Places
- Chamber of Commerce listings
Update billing: Update all business credit cards with your new address and any automated billing to ensure no interruption in service/support.
Let vendors know: Notify your vendors at least one month before your move. Confirm your shipping and billing address information with all suppliers, specifically those who only deliver or provide service to you occasionally.
Moving a Business: Top 5 Do’s & Don’ts
We’ve covered many of the tips below, but if you need some savvy business moving tips at a glance, follow these essential do’s and don’ts to ensure your move is a success!
- Research and carefully consider potential new locations before making a decision.
- Develop a detailed relocation plan and timeline.
- Notify employees and customers well in advance of the move.
- Hire professional movers with experience in commercial relocation.
- Update all necessary documentation, licenses, and permits for the new location.
- Rush into a decision without proper research and planning.
- Neglect to communicate with employees and customers about the move.
- Attempt to handle the move on your own without professional assistance.
- Forget to update necessary documentation and legal requirements.
- Ignore potential cost savings and benefits of relocating.
Relocating a business can offer a variety of benefits, including
- Access to new markets
- Improved talent pool
- Increased visibility
- Better cost savings
However, without the right team of business movers, it can create unnecessary stress on your team, customers, and future.
Need Professional Business Movers?
Get the peace of mind you deserve and ensure your move goes smoothly. At Good Stuff Moving, we have extensive experience helping businesses relocate.
In fact, when you hire us, you can expect:
- Complete business and office moving—whether local or long distance, small businesses or large corporations
- Free and accurate estimates
- Planning and communication
- Organization and coordination
- Trained professional uniformed movers
- Our own necessary supplies and equipment
- Clean properly equipped trucks
To get started, request a free quote or contact us directly at 651.488.4808. We aim to be the Twin Cities most reliable business movers and look forward to serving you and your team!